5 Essential NC Holiday Road Trips
North Carolina is a wonderfully diverse state with tons to do! Whether you like the mountains or the beach, the city or the country, there’s a destination for everyone! The holidays are no different with many areas hosting their own events with local flare. We’ve compiled just a few to inspire you to hit the road and take in all the Tar Heel State has to offer this time of year. Many can be done in a day or make for the perfect weekend getaway!
- Enchanted Airlie, Wilmington Hosted by Airlie Gardens, this coastal Christmas spectacular will certainly put you in a festive mood! Enchanted Airlie features a holiday twist to its already stunning gardens. With over a half mile of light displays, you won’t leave disappointed. Local vendors are also on hand to serve some of your favorite winter treats like hot chocolate, popcorn, cookies, and candy!
- Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens, Belmont Just west of Charlotte, the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens make a great day trip for holiday merriment seekers! With different events all season long, there’s something for everyone! Make your own wreath, sample seasonal teas, and explore Holidays in the Garden, which features horse drawn sleigh rides, live holiday music, seasonal shopping, and much more!
- NC Chinese Lantern Festival, Cary For those looking for a different type of holiday festival, the NC Chinese Lantern Festival in Cary is the perfect stop! With nightly displays ongoing through January 15th, there’s plenty of time to get in on the fun! Held at the Booth Amphitheatre, the festival includes 20 dazzling displays featuring both traditional chinese and modern takes on one of the world’s most spectacular celebrations!
- Rappelling Santa, Chimney Rock St. Nick leaves the reindeer and sleigh back at the North Pole when he visits Chimney Rock! Take a trip out to Rutherford County to witness Santa Claus like you’ve never seen him before! With two appearances, this jolly old soul scales 315 feet of vertical rock! While you’re out there, make sure to take in the scenic splendor of the Smoky Mountains and some the surrounding towns!
- Christkindlmarkt, Charlotte If you’re not up for a long road trip, try spending the day at one of the area’s best holiday attractions! Christkindlmarkt offers some of the greatest gifts, food, and music of the holiday season! Held in Romare Bearden Park, the Charlotte Christmas Village is a great holiday escape while still staying close to home. An old German tradition, Christkindlmarkts occur across the United States, tying in old world customs with American flavor. Make sure to stop by this holiday season!
These are only a few of the countless holiday events going on across North Carolina. For more info on any of these or to explore even more, check out Visit NC! And to get where you’re going safely, make sure your Mazda is running at its best by stopping by Keffer for service!